School is back in session. Please be mindful of our Crossing Guards out in the roadways. Stop as per the Crossing Guards' directions. Please refrain from making Right on Red during the posted hours at crosswalks in town. Be sure to come to a complete stop at all stop signs.
DID YOU KNOW?
- That you cannot pass a stopped school bus with its red flashing lights on EVEN IN A SCHOOL BUS LOOP (NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law section 1174-a).
- An estimated 50,000 motor vehicles illegally pass New York State school busses every day.
- In the past four years, 37 students were hit by motorists in New York State passing stopped school busses. Many of these students were seriously injured, and one was killed.
THE LAW SAYS:
- It is illegal - and very dangerous - to pass a stopped school bus when the large red lights on top of the bus are flashing. Flashing lights mean the bus is picking up or discharging students.
- You must stop whether you are approaching the school bus from the front or overtaking it from the rear.
- You must always stop for flashing red lights, even on divided and multilane highways and on school grounds.
- The first-time fine for illegally passing a school bus is a $250 fine, 5 points on your license, and/or possible 30 days in jail.
- Worse yet, the memory of hitting or killing a child may be one you carry for the rest of your life!
PENALTIES FOR PASSING A STOPPED SCHOOL BUS:
|By Conviction ||Minimum |
|Possible Imprisonment |
|First conviction||$250 ||$400||Up to 30 days|
|Second conviction |
(within 3 years)
|$600 ||$750||Up to 180 days|
|Third or subsequent |
(within 3 years)
|$750||$850||Up to 180 days |