Town Hall: 1280 Titus Avenue • Rochester, NY 14617 | (585) 467-8840

Passports and Marriage Licenses

New U.S. Passports

The Irondequoit Town Clerk's Office offers passport service for the convenience of local residents. These passport services are available from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Monday through Friday by appointment only.

Since the federal government is scrutinizing passport applications with greater care than ever before, each person must apply for his or her passport in person.

In order to save your time, please make an appointment before coming to Town Hall to apply for a passport by calling 585-467-8840.

Currently, the U.S. Department of State provides passports in 4 to 6 weeks for routine applications, and about 3 weeks for expedited service.
**Time Frame subject to change and could be longer than expected.**

Application Requirements for New Passports

To apply for a passport, your passport application must be accompanied by:

  1. Proof of Citizenship - Acceptable documents include:
    • A previous U.S. passport;
    • An original or certified copy of a birth certificate (must have both parents names on it);
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad or Certification of Birth;
    • Naturalization Certificate; and
    • Certificate of Citizenship.
  2. Proof of Identity - The only valid forms of identity accepted are:
    • A valid driver's license;
    • Recently issued Certificate of Naturalization; or
    • Recently issued Government ID card
  3. Two Identical Photographs - 2" x 2" in size

You may have your photos taken for $15.00 at the Town Clerk's Office when you apply for your passport. If you bring your own photos, please make sure they meet the following requirements:

  1. They must be in color with a light background;
  2. Photo should be taken within the past 6 months, showing current appearance;
  3. Photo should be a clear front view of the individual's entire face;
  4. Photo should be taken in normal street attire:
    • Uniforms should not be worn except religious attire that is worn daily;
    • Do NOT wear a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline;
    • Prescription glasses, hearing devices, wigs or similar articles, if worn normally, should be worn for the picture;
    • Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless used for medical reasons (a medical certificate may be required).

Please Note: Vending machine photos are not generally acceptable.

Minor Children - All minors must appear in person

Both parents or child's legal guardian must:

  1. Present evidence of child's U.S. citizenship and
  2. Present evidence that they are the parents or guardian and
  3. Show valid personal identification and
  4. Sign and take oath before an authorized passport acceptance agent.

If the second parent is not available to sign, the appearing parent must:

  1. Do the above and,
  2. Present evidence that he/she has:
    • sole legal custody of the child, or a notarized consent form from the other parent for the issuance of the passport,
    • written statement explaining why non-applying parent's consent cannot be obtained.

If no parent is available to sign, The third-party in loco parentis must:

  1. Appear with a notarized written statement or affidavit from both parents or custodial parent(s) authorizing the third party to apply for a passport. When the statement or affidavit is from only one parent, the third party must present evidence of sole custody of the authorizing parent.

The most efficient way to apply for a child under age 16 is to present the required documentation and

  1. For both parents to appear at the time of application, or
  2. If only one parent can apply, that applying parent/guardian has the additional documentation required for a single signature application at the time of application


A check made payable to: U.S. DEPARTMENT OF STATE. For a full list of United States Passport Fees click here

U.S. Passport Book

  • Adult (age 16 and older) passport $130.00 (Personal Check or Money Order)
  • Child (under age 16) passport $100.00 (Personal Check or Money Order)

U.S. Passport Card

  • Adult (age 16 and older) passport $30.00 (Personal Check or Money Order)
  • Child (under age 16) passport $15.00 (Personal Check or Money Order)

A fee of $35.00 per applicant will be required for both Passport Books and Cards. Fee must be paid in cash, personal check or money order made payable to TOWN OF IRONDEQUOIT.

Adult passport will be valid for 10 years.

Child passport will be valid for 5 years. To renew a child's previous passport, the original birth certificate and previous passport must be submitted.

Both parents and/or legal guardians will sign the application in the presence of the passport acceptance agent. Parents or legal guardians must have valid driver's license, which has been valid for at least 6 months.

Minors under age 16 must appear with parent or legal guardian (if guardian, bring legal guardianship papers). Minor must present 1 piece of signature identification (i.e. social security card, school I.D. card, library card or driver's license valid for at least 6 months.

Expedited Passports

Passport processing takes up to 6 weeks. If you need a passport sooner, you may pay for an expedited service ($60.00) and should expect to receive your passport in 2 weeks. **Time Frame Subject to change, Could be longer than expected** If you need a passport in less than two weeks, you can do so only by appointment with a federal passport agency office (14 nationwide, including one in New York City). The phone number of the New York City passport agency office is 1-877-487-2778. This is an automated appointment system in which you must complete the process in its entirety to ensure that your appointment is confirmed. You will have to provide documented proof of the need to receive the passport in less than 14 days (usually in the form of purchased tickets, an official travel itinerary, or other official paperwork).

Passport Renewals

Passports can be renewed by mail if you already have:

  • Undamaged passport;
  • Passport received within the past 15 years;
  • Were over the age 16 when issued; and
  • Still have the same name as in passport (or you can legally document your name change.)

After completing the Passport Renewal Form, attach:

  • Your recent passport
  • Two identical passport photographs; and
  • The $110.00 Passport Fee (no processing fee required) and mail in a padded envelope to:

National Passport Center
P.O. Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155

Your previous passport will be returned to you with your new passport.


The law requires that all applications be signed
under oath under penalty of perjury.


Additional Information

For more information, please consult the U.S. Department of State's Passport Services website at

Marriage Licenses:

By Appointment Only: 9:00 am - 3:30 pm - (585) 467-8840

How do I apply for a Marriage License?

To apply for a Marriage License, both parties must be present. You must bring your original Birth Certificate or a certified copy and a valid Drivers’ License. If you have previously been married, a Judgment of Divorce, Divorce Decree or Death Certificate is required. You must apply for the license at least 24 hours before the ceremony and no further in advance than 60 days.

How do I get a copy of my Marriage License?

You must fill out a Marriage Research Application form. It must be filled out by one of the two parties involved in the marriage or a Power of Attorney. The form must be notarized and there is a non-refundable search fee of $10. The marriage license is filed where you applied for your license, not necessarily where you were married.

Marriage Research Application

Irondequoit logo

1280 Titus Avenue
Rochester, NY 14617

Business Hours:
Monday - Friday
8:30am - 4:30pm

Town Hall:    (585) 467-8840

Police Dept: (585) 336-6000

Copyright ©2023 Town of Irondequoit - All Rights Reserved