Wind Storm Resource Page
With extreme winds in the forecast for Sunday, February 24th through mid-day Monday, February 25th we have created this page as a resource for town residents.
At present, the National Weather Service is forecasting extremely high winds across the Rochester region, with peak gusts of upwards of 80 miles-per-hour. With the rising temperatures, we are concerned about moist soil conditions leading to the higher risk of uprooted trees.
We encourage residents to stay indoors as much as possible during these high wind periods.
To report a power outage, or to report a downed tree or tree limb on power lines, please call RG&E at 800-743-1701. Downed trees in the street and/or sidewalk should be reported to Irondequoit DPW at 336-6090. Do not attempt to remove them on your own!!
A few additional reminders:
- If you do lose power, generators must never be placed indoors and should be at least 20 feet from the house with the engine exhaust directed away from windows and doors
- Never use your stove to heat your home, if you lose power
- Remember to bring in your garbage and recycling containers into your garage, if possible
- In anticipation of failed sump pumps, remove valuable basement items from the floor
All life-safety emergencies, please call 9-1-1.
We will monitor this storm throughout its duration and after, and remain in contact with our first responders and other government partners.
Please note the additional resources listed on the right of this page.
- BRUSH PICKUP: In response to the recent windstorm, the Department of Public Works will begin roadside brush pick up across Town on Monday, March 4th. Town staff will go street to street picking up piles of logs, sticks and other woody debris. Please consider consolidating piles with neighbors in an effort to increase the speed of pickups. To report a downed tree blocking a road or sidewalk, please call the Operations center at 336-6090.
- HOME DAMAGE: Residents and businesses that sustained property or electrical service damage from the storm are encouraged to call the Building Department at (585) 336-6026 to find out what permit(s) and/or inspections, if any, may be needed for their repairs.
- SOCIAL MEDIA: Residents are encouraged to follow the Town’s Facebook and Twitter pages for updates.
As of 10:40AM on Tuesday, February 26th their are no closed roadways in town due to the storm.
To protect and care for the trees of Irondequoit, the Town adopted new regulations requiring all commercial tree services operating within the Town limits to be licensed. This includes any vendor that performs tree trimming, tree cutting, limb removal, pruning, thinning, cabling, topping, root pruning, and stump grinding on both the Right of Way and Private property within the Town.
This new regulation is to protect residents by ensuring the vendor is properly insured for the tree work performed, ensure proper handling of the woody material, as well as to protect the overall Town tree canopy.
Any tree service business that performs work in the Town is responsible for properly disposing of all the material. The Town will not pick up material generated by contractors that is left on the project site.
To view a list of licensed tree contractors in Irondequoit, please click here.
IN THE EVENT OF DAMAGE TO YOUR HOME FROM A STORM:
- First and Foremost, ensure the safety of yourself and any other individuals in or around the property. Contact the local authorities; police, fire, etc. and follow any instructions provided.
- Once the structure is properly secured by emergency personnel, you should contact your insurance provider as soon as you are able.
Each provider and policy is different, so be sure to speak with your provider directly to identify the proper procedures for successfully completing a claim.
However, the New York State Department of Financial Services does suggest some best practices for the following situations:
- What to do before/after a loss
- Maintaining Adequate Insurance
- Adjusters, Appraisers & Umpires
- Cancellations & Non-Renewals
- Filing a Complaint with NYS DFS
- Renters Insurance
If you are unsure of the contact number for your insurance provider, the following may be helpful: List of Insurance Company Contact Phone #s (this list may not be comprehensive – reference materials from your insurance provider for the most accurate information)