The Department of Community Development is responsible for ensuring compliance with state and local ordinances regarding building construction, fire prevention, property maintenance, land use planning, and zoning. It also administers the Home Improvement Program which is funded by the federal Community Development Block Grant and provides funding for qualified residents for home improvements and removal of code violations. Divisions of the Community Developmment Department include Building Code Enforcement, Building Services, Planning and Zoning, and the Fire Marshal.
The Building Services Office provides permitting, building code interpretation, construction inspection, licensing, plan review, and problem-solving services to the citizens of Irondequoit and their contractors and consultants for residential and commercial building projects. Building Services also administers the Home Improvement Program.
Do I Need a Building Permit?
As per New York State law, building permits are required for work that must conform to the Uniform Building Codes, which includes: new residential, commercial and industrial buildings; additions to residential, commercial and industrial buildings; interior and exterior structural repairs; alterations, improvements and remodeling of existing structures; garages; carports; all sheds; roofing; siding; decks; porches; stairs; fences; swimming pools in which the water depth is two feet or greater; heating systems (new and replacement); hot tubs; fire suppression systems; fire alarm systems; solid fuel burning appliances; gas fired decorative appliances; parking lots; and demolition of all structures.
For more information, please see the forms and information sheets below:
- Building Permit Information Sheet
- Building Permit Application
- Building Permit Fees
- Pool, Hot Tub, & Spa Info. Sheet
- Deck & Pool Deck Requirements & Guidelines
- Shed Info. Sheet
- Fencing Code
The Building Code Enforcement Office is responsible for the administration and enforcement of all laws, codes, ordinances, regulations, and orders applicable to the construction of structures, land use, and property maintenance in all zoning districts in the Town.
- Common Code Violations
- Why Can't I Do What I Want on My Property?
- Town Street Map
- Town Zoning Map
- Town Code
- Code Complaint Form
- Public Nuisance Law (Chapter 173)
- Rental Registry Application & Info.
- Rental Code (Chapter 177)
- Brush, Grass and Weeds (Chapter 94)
- Solid Waste (Chapter 192)
- Offstreet Parking (Chapter 77A)
- Vacant Property Registry Application & Info.
- Vacant & Unsafe Properties (Chaper 104)
- Services We Provide
- Inspects public, semi-public, and other commercial establishments to ascertain the extent of conformity to fire prevention laws.
- Orders the removal or correction of fire hazards.
- Informs fire districts of local building conditions and of special features involved in buildings or fields located in their districts.
- Inspects yards and fields for the presence of rubbish and hazardous material.
- Recommends fire detection or prevention measures and other corrective steps.
- Establishes and enforces fire lanes.
- Issues burning permits.
- Prepares reports and maintains records.
- Reviews building plans for code compliance, and may participate in approval process for new structures.
- Acts as a liaison between fire districts and the Town Boards.
- Reviews and maintains level of preparedness for disaster.
- Irondequoit Ambulance and Fire Departments