FAQ - Department of Public Works
- Who is responsible for the maintenance of sidewalks?
- How do I report a pothole?
- How do I report a missing street sign or traffic sign?
- Who do I call to pick up a dead animal?
- Is recycling really necessary and effective?
- What trash haulers operate in Irondequoit?
- Who picks up brush?
- When is a street work permit required?
1. Who is responsible for the maintenance of sidewalks?
The Town of Irondequoit is responsible for the maintenance and upkeep of sidewalks, as well as snow removal (only on streets that are normally plowed).
2. How do I report a pothole?
Although most roads in Irondequoit are owned and maintained by the Town, several are maintained by other jurisdictions. Please call the correct jurisdiction for proper service.
To report a pothole on Town roads, please call the Public Works Department at 585-336-6090.
For potholes on I-590, Rt. 104, and Empire Blvd., call the New York State Department of Transportation at 585-586-4514.
For potholes on Long Acre Rd (south of southside median curbline) and Seneca Avenue (west side, south of Long Acre), call the City of Rochester at 585-428-5990.
For pothole on County roads, call 1-800-pothole (1-800-768-4653). For a list of County roads, please click here.
3. How do I report a missing street sign or traffic sign?
Call the Irondequoit Department of Public Works at 585-336-6090.
4. Who do I call to pick up a dead animal?
Town of Irondequoit Animal Control at 585-336-6053. (For dead animals on I-590, Rt. 104 and Empire Blvd., please call the New York State Department of Transportation at 585-586-4514.)
5. Is recycling really necessary and effective?
Most definitely. It helps keep our streets and neighborhoods free of litter, diverts thousands of tons of material from landfills each year, and helps lower property owners’ trash collection costs by reducing waste haulers’ tipping fees each year. Irondequoit is blessed with a beautiful environment. Recycling helps keep it clean and safe.
6. What trash haulers operate in Irondequoit?
Please click here for a list of waste haulers operating in Irondequoit.
7. Who picks up brush?
The Department of Public Works picks up brush generated by homeowners. Please click here for a schedule and regulations.
8. When is a street work permit required?
Whenever there is any work planned in the Town ROW. This includes any curb or sidewalk work; any type of excavation; and placement of dumpsters, cranes and other construction equipment. If there is any doubt about the need for a permit, call the Department of Public Works at 585-336-6090.
Back to Top>>